Find the best steam cleaners and floor mops for tiles, laminate, carpets and pets. We have reviewed top rated Vax, Karcher, Morphy Richards, Bissell, Shark, Vileda, Polti, Beldray, Pifco, and Black and Decker brands in which per every review we have included price tags and comparison charts to help you make a wise decision.
Most modern houses have different floor types in different parts of the house with a fair mix of carpeted floors and hard floors. You therefore need the steam cleaner that will glide through all your different surfaces without any trouble.
The key tip here is to look for steam cleaners that work well in most hard floors and also have carpet glider functionality.
Also different floor texture have different temperature threshold. For instance porcelain tiles that are unglazed and porous are not suitable for high temperature vapour pressure because glazed material is water resistant and leaves a wet finish. With such floors you need a cleaner that has variable settings and dries floors superfast like the that dries floors superfast after cleaning.
This variable floor setting functionality employs smart settings to regulate the hot water vapour pressure and temperature suitable for your floors.
Best Steam Cleaner UK 2018
1. Vax Steam Fresh Combi S86-SF-C Multifunction Steam Cleaner
See how the Vax steam fresh combi compares with other Best Vax steam cleaners.
The Vax steam fresh combi s86-sf-c is both a floor steam cleaner and a handheld steamer hence the name ‘combi’ meaning combination.
Basically, the Vax s86 sf c is an improved version of the former best selling Vax S86-SF-CC Steam Fresh Combi Classic 10 in 1 steam mop.
The Vax 15 in 1 steam cleaner was crowned as the best home steam mop in 2014 by the leading consumer research giant “Which” after extensive research and analysis. Since then it has always topped the best sellers ranks among the best rated steam mops and steam cleaners in the UK Market.
It is packed with exciting features that will make your cleaning tasks effortless and fun.
- The Vax Steam Fresh Combi 15 in 1 S86-SF-C Steam Cleaner is a 2 in 1 multifunctional cleaner that comes with a 15 piece accessory tool kit. The kit gives the S86-SF-C added functionality. It has two tanks, one for detergent and the other for water.
- It uses specially designed patented Vax detergent that is blended with different welcoming scents (citrus burst, Lime zest and spring fresh).
- It is fitted with a nifty variable floor setting. This setting enables you to choose the amount of hot vapour to release on your floors. This makes it suitable for most floor types including sensitive flooring like laminate floors. It also has an in-built floor scrubber for you to spot clean any ingrained stains and caked in dirt.
- It can complete 15 different cleaning tasks in your house which means you can accomplish all your cleaning tasks with just one gadget. You can clean your windows; steam your upholstery, mattress, kitchen worktops, tile grouting, shower cubicle, refresh carpets and spruce up your car alloy wheels.
- It kills 99% of all germs on your surfaces and comes with a Vax detergent that cleans far much better and kills 37% more bacteria on your floors than most floor cleaning mops in the market. This alone will provide healthy spaces for your family and pets. It also battles dirt and grime on your surfaces and not only leaves them stunningly clean but also gives them a welcoming fresh citrus scent. The scent can last up to seven days.
- The S86-SF-C has 8m long cord (the longest of all the floor cleaners in the UK market). With such a long cable you can cover wide areas in your domestic spaces without the need to plug and unplug when changing sockets. The long cord makes the s86-sf easy to manoeuvre and a joy to use. It also has swivel head steering for easy navigation around tight spaces like table legs and under sofa seats.
- It is durable and effective. It comes with an iron-clad two year manufacturer guarantee. All you have to do is to register your electric mop at the manufacturer’s website to activate the guarantee. This gives you peace of mind with the knowledge that you can use your s86 for at least 2 years and in case it breaks down you are covered by the manufacturer’s guarantee. Most customer feedbacks indicate that the customer service desk at Vax is quite helpful.
Cons: The few negative things about the Vax 15 in 1 are:
- It is relatively heavier than other lightweight cleaners. It weighs 3.7 kgs.
- The Vax detergent though cheap can add up in cost overtime and make it expensive. However you can use the Vax S86-SF-C cleaner without detergent and yet achieve spectacular results.
- Its hand-held cleaner does not use Vax detergent. The Vax detergent is only used on the floor mop. However, the idea behind hot vapour mops is to use only hot vapour to kill 99% of all germs and bacteria on your floors without the use of detergents. So even without the Vax detergent you can still kill all germs and bacteria on your surfaces using steam only to make your surfaces germ free and gleaming.
2. Thane H2O HD High Definition 5 in 1 Multi Purpose Steam Cleaner
See how the h20 hd steamer compares with other top rated Thane h20 x5 steam cleaners.
The H20 HD Steam Cleaner also referred to as the Thane H2O HD High Definition 5 in 1 Steam Mop Cleaner is a new version of the former best selling H2O X5 Steam Mop 5 in 1 Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner.
H20 HD Key Features/Pros:
- This h20 steam mop features a super maneuverable and extra-large 360 degrees mop head that can polish and clean large areas quickly.
- It has a built-in water filter for filtering water, thus you can use tap water without blocking the mop.
- It features a high capacity 450ml removable tank that heats up in just 25 seconds to give you 15 to 20 minutes steaming time.
- It features a three position digital steam control settings that allow adjusting the amount of steam depending on the floor type.
- It features a 6-meter long cable that allows you to an easy reach of the hard to reach areas and corners.
- It is a great tool for both large and small cleaning jobs. You can convert it to a handheld steamer from its upright position with just a flip of a switch.
- It has a foldable handle.
- It comes with a carpet glider for refreshing carpets.
- It can be utilized as a window cleaner, a handheld steamer, a carpet cleaner, a floor cleaner or even a garment steamer. All in one single machine.
- The h20 hd has an incredible heat up time of just 25 seconds and a tank capacity of 450 ml.
- if you press the off button while cleaning; you have to wait for it to heat again
- You have to buy more cleaning cloths to make the best use of hd.
H20 HD Steam Mop Expert Opinion:
With fantastic features like a foldable handle, more cleaning power, a built-in water filter, a removable water tank and its sleek and new design, this h3o hd steam cleaner is the evolution and an award-winning mop.
If you prefer using a multifunctional steam system for cleaning and sanitising your home, then this is the model for you. This is because with this model you will be able to clean your entire house using just one machine. With ordinary tap water, the h20hd steam mop is will produce super-heated steam for sanitising and deodorising your house. Effective cleaning in your house has never been automated and this smart. Thanks to the Thane h20 hd steam cleaner.
I would highly recommend the H20 HD Steam Cleaner. This is because, based on its features and what it can do, this cleaner is worth trying.
A lot of clients who have used it have also recommended it to others. Additionally, this mop has been ranked #17 in the Amazon bestseller ranks among the Amazon best-sellers steam mops.
3. Karcher SC3 All-in-One Steam Cleaner
See how the Karcher sc3 steam cleaner compares with other Best Karcher steam cleaners.
The Karcher SC3 Steam Cleaner is a good fit for everyday house cleaning tasks. There are no hold-ups as you wait for the water to turn into steam. This happens in only 30 seconds unlike other cylinder cleaners that take between 3-12 minutes to be ready to jet out hot vapour. It is quite good at clearing build up soap residues in shower cubicle.
Karcher SC3 Key features :
- The Karcher SC3 is powered by a 1900 watt that heats up the 1 litre refillable tank in 30 seconds to produce hot vapour enough to clean continuously for at least 30 minutes
- It comes with a descaling cartridge filter to protect your cleaner from corroding (clogging up with lime scale). Corroding is quite common in hard water regions. The filter also ensures that you get high pressure vapour.
- It has a refillable tank that enables you to refill your tank on the go without stopping the cleaner. This gives you seamless cleaning time so that you can clean your entire home without interruptions of switching the cleaner off as other ordinary cleaner do when refilling water into the tank.
- It has both a heat valve (to protect you from scalding when opening the hot vapour tank) and a childproof safety lock to avoid any hazard.
- It has a LED light that signals when the cleaner is ready to be used.
- It has a trigger gun that can release bursts of hot vapour to clean tough stains when triggered
- It comes with a wide range of accessories to tackle all areas in your home.
- It produces 3.5 bar pressure. Sufficient enough to dismantle any caked in dirt. Perfect for deep cleaning.
- It has a two meter hose that will enable you to clean high areas like ceilings and tight spaces.
- It is quite portable and compact. It rolls on wheels
- Like most cleaners the Karcher steam cleaner SC3 has variable floor control that will enable to you to regulate the amount of heat released to your floors. This enables you to clean different floor types by just adjusting the control setting.
- Some of the power accessories like the round brass brush have to be bought separately.
- Only two terry clothes are supplied when you buy this cleaner.
- The jetting pressure drops a bit if you continually press the trigger.
The sc3 is a good fit for everyday domestic cleaning tasks. There are no hold-ups as you wait for the water to turn into steam. This happens in only 30 seconds unlike other cylinder cleaners that take between 3-12 minutes to be ready to jet out hot vapour. It is quite good at clearing build up soap residues in shower cubicle.
The water tank is refillable on the go for convenience and ease of use. This will also save you time in the long run. The lime scale filter makes your cleaner to perform at optimum levels. The comfort floor tool has a two metres hose that enables to clean high and low areas.
The LED display alerts you when the water tank is heated and ready for cleaning. It also notifies you when the tank is about to run empty so that you can refill it without interrupting your cleaning. It has on-board storage for effortless storage of accessories.
4. Bissell Vac and Steam
The Bissell vac & steam brags a powerful cyclonic technology that enables the gadget to vacuum and mop at the same time. It has a digital on demand steam control function that can be operated by your fingertips.
- It employs cutting edge technology that keeps all the debris and dirt in the dustbin dry which makes it easy to clean.
- The vacuum has two filters one for ruffle and the other one for foam. The part that has a vacuum suction is placed towards the front so that the debris is sucked up before the Bissell Vac Steaming jet gets in contact with them. The dry dirt is separated from any wet mess using the Bissell vacuum.
- The Bissell vac & steam is red/white in color, of 23 x 118.1 x 28 cm size, powered by 1500 watts motor and weighs 4.4kg
- You can use it as a vacuum only or use the combination of vacuuming and mopping. So, this Bissell vacuum and steam mop gives you practical functionality and flexibility to make your cleaning effortless and fun.
- Has adjustable handle so you can elongate the handle or shorten to suit your cleaning style.
- It heats up in 30 seconds, runs on a 1500 motor watt and has a 400ml water tank that will give you 15 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning time.
- It has a really long 7.6 meters power cable for easy navigation while steam cleaning
- Apart from that, it has variable steam control that can be operated digitally with your fingertips.
- It separates dry debris and wet messes and all the dirt goes to a clear glass compartment that you can monitor and empty when full.
- It has see through dirty tank technology that sorts out dry dirt from wet one.
- The Bissell vac has a water filter and
- It has two discs for lovely spring breeze scent.
- You will get 2 years warranty when you buy this gadget.
- The steam vacuum can work on most all hard sealed floor types from sealed wooden floors, tiles, lino to sealed laminate flooring.
- It does not have a handheld detachable cleaner. This is the main handicap of this steam cleaner so far.
- It is slightly heavy (4kgs) but considering it is like having two cleaning machine, 4 Kgs is not bad at all.
- Vacuum not to be used on carpet. It is for hard floors only.
Bissell Vac and Steam Overall Verdict: The Bissell vac & steam is a quality mop and cleaner whichever way you perceive it. It will save you time and money without compromising cleaning standards. Well it doesn’t have a handheld steamer but the functionality it offers are unparalleled. If you are looking to keep your hard floors spectacularly cleaning without spending all your time scrubbing floors, then have this cleaner in mind. It will save you lots of time.
At the price it is going for, it provides great value for money. I recommend the Bissell vac and steam cleaner purely based on its revolutionary features that save time and money.
5. Morphy Richards 15 in 1 Luna Plus Steam Cleaner
The Morphy Richards 720507 Luna Plus Steam Cleaner is among the latest entry into the elite league of innovative idea of steam cleaning. It has all the tantalizing features that the Luna 12 in 1 has like ability to strap the handheld on your back to free your two hands to do any dusting or brushing.
Currently unavailable on Amazon, you can check the 12 in 1 instead.
Key Features / Pros of the Morphy Richards 15 in 1 Steam Cleaner
The Morphy Richards steam cleaner 720507 luna plus runs on a 1600 watts motor that heats up the 430 ml water tank in 30 seconds to give between 17-20 minutes of continuous cleaning.
- It has a five meter power length and it only weights 3.1 Kgs.
- The 15 in 1 is fitted with a micro-pulse vibration setting on the floor head that dislodges deep seated dirt and grime by agitating them.
- It has the illuminated floor-head that makes your cleaning a breeze. A beam of light is shone on your cleaning path to give you an indication of how well you have cleaned.
- It has a water tank that is illuminated by some neon light to give you a hint on the level of water in the tank so that you can top-up if the water is running low.
- it has a carpet glider that will enable you to glide across your pile and refresh it.
- The luna plusis quite multi functional – it can clean up to 15 places n your house. It can clean all types of sealed hard floors, carpets, windows, upholstery and blinds, kitchen worktops and cupboards, ovens and hob, grills and BBQ, wall tiles and shower cubicles, tap and kitchen sink, car alloy wheels,etc
- The power cable is relatively shorter than other comparable cleaners like the Vax steam fresh combi 15 in 1
- The manufacturer recommends use of iodised water to reduce chances of corrosion. The cost of using iodised water could add up over time.
Morphy Richards 720507 : Overall Verdict
Make no mistake, the 720507 Morphy Richards 15 in 1 luna plus steam cleaner is a top quality cleaner by a reputable manufacturer. It is practical and functional due to its ability to perform multiple tasks effortlessly.
Basing on the success of the luna 12 in 1 which at time of writing had a rating of 4.5 star our of 5 , a total of 86% customer satisfaction, you can not go wrong with this luna plus 15 in 1 steam cleaner.
- It has variable floor control setting with three main settings: high, medium and low.
- It is quite multi functional – it can clean up to 15 places n your house
- It is lightweight (weighs only 3.1 kgs).
- It has variable floor control and can clean all types of floors and carpets
- It has illuminated floor-head for easy deep cleaning
- It has a vibration setting that agitates stubborn dirt
- It kills 99% of all germs and bacteria on your surfaces.
- It has an easy to fill tank
6. Polti Vaporetto Eco Pro 3000 Steam Cleaner
See how the Polti vaporetto eco pro 3000 compares with other best rated polti steam cleaners.
The Polti Vaporetto Eco Pro 3000 Steam Cleaner, Blue/ White is one of the top rated steam cleaners out there that has a ‘Seal of Approval by British Allergy Foundation‘ in its effectiveness against dust mites just like the Polti vaporetto comfort steam cleaner.
Key Features/Pros of this Polti Vaporetto Eco:
- The Polti eco pro is blue in color, weighing 4.9kg and of 32 x 32 x 34 cm size.
- Has a large 2 litre water tank that heats up in 5 to 10 minutes to give you 40 minutes cleaning time. This is enough time to clean most areas when compared to best steam mops that only offer between 15 to 20 minutes steaming time.
- It is powered by 2000watts motor and has a powerfully 4.5Bar steam pressure great for deep cleaning hard floors, cooker, work surfaces, shower, car seats, children toys and anything real that can be steamed.
- Its powerful pressure can be regulated through its variable trigger. Most models are not able to deliver such variance in usage.
- It comes with a lot of attachment like detail nozzle for hard to reach areas, attachments bag, floor cleaner, extension tubes and much more
- Gives a buzz when water runs out.
- You get an iron attachment option available with this steam cleaner thus making it more user-friendly.
- The product also comes with a safety cap that will not open unless the pressure is completely depleted – hence, ensuring you safe sanitization.
- The Polti Vaporetto Eco Pro 3.0 Steam Cleaner, Blue/ White offers adjustable hot vapour control (Variable floor control).
- It comes with a stainless steel boiler.
- It comprises of a large tank to clean for a longer period.
- Ensures risk free usage with a safety cap.
- The ecopro comes with an instructional DVD for maximum output.
- It works skillfully on even the toughest surfaces.
- Its 4-bar pressure and a large water tank, lets it generate hot vapour for you in minutes.
- The unit emits hot jetting pressure for deep cleaning at 100G/min maximum
- It is highly durable. It packs a powerful machine with exemplary built standard. This is because it comprises of a stainless steel boiler which gives it a premium look with excellent sturdiness.
You have to wait for the steamer to cool down before refilling it.
Unlike most gadgets, the Polti Vaporetto Eco Pro 3.0 Steam Cleaner, Blue/ White packs power, versatility, and multiple accessories. Tools like the concentrator and squeegee kit help in cleaning surfaces from the toughest to the most delicate ones, hassle free.
Over 82% satisfied customers have rated this incredible machine with 4.4 stars on e commerce sites such as Amazon. This explains what this capable unit delivers when you use it on your house tiles and floors.
The only ecopro flaw might be the high price, but that can be obscured when you attain such exceptional features which are worth paying for. This machine is worth buying for your deep cleaning and sprucing up.
6. Vileda Steam Mop
See how the Vileda steamer compares with other best Vileda mops.
The Vileda Steam Mop is one of the lightweight best floor steam cleaners that works well on floors which are hard sealed like laminate, vinyl, tiles, wood. It is pretty light weighing 2.5 Kg. This steam mop has variable control setting which gives you the ability to control the amount of vapour released to your surfaces thereby preventing damage of the floor. Unlike the Vileda spray mop that does not use hot vapour but just hot water (Hot water is not enough to kill all germs and bacteria on your surfaces); the steam mop has a variable steam control that enables you to control the amount of heat pressure release to your floors.
- In use, it has excellent maneuverability because of the ball joint where the head meets the body of the machine. This means it is easy to push around your floors into the corners to reach every nook and cranny.
- It heats up really quickly which means you can use this when you are short on time.
- A full tank will give you around half an hour cleaning time which is usually long enough to clean several (if not all) the rooms in an average size house.
- It is lightweight (2.5 kgs) and easily carried around.
- It comes with a carpet glider for refreshing your carpets and 2-year guarantee.
- You cannot see how much water is in the tank; however, there is an indicator light which comes on when it is empty.
- It doesn’t have a handheld steam cleaner.
Pros: The Vileda steam mop has great maneuverability due to its triangular shape and ball type joint on the handle that makes it easier to cleaner difficult to reach areas.
- Very easy to assemble and has a very long 6m cord length.
- It has a light indicator showing you when to empty the tank.
- Great for vinyl, laminate, wood, ceramic, marble and tiles flooring.
- This cleaner also dries floors quickly.
- Comes with a carpet glider for refreshing your carpets and 2 year guarantee for peace of mind. It Weighs 2.5 Kgs, black in color. Product dimensions of 20.5 x 29 x 130 cm, a capacity tank of 400ml and Power of 1550 watts Voltage with a cable length of 6 meters.
- It is supplied with 2 durable microfiber, carpet glider, a filling jug and a manual for instructions. It Kills 99.9% of bacteria on surfaces without the need for any toxic cleaning chemicals like bleach detergents.
- It is quite easy to manoeuvre around furniture and up the stairs due to its swivel head. It is reliable, efficient and durable.
- With manufacturer’s 2 year guarantee , ease of use and ability to clean all types of floors thanks to the variable control setting the is the real deal.
7. Shark Lift Away Professional Pocket Steam Mop
See how the Shark lift away compares with other Best Shark steam mops.
The Shark s3901 Lift Away Professional Steam Pocket Mop 3901 is both a floor steam cleaner and a versatile handheld steamer.
- The Shark s3901 comes with unique features such as a long handle and a swivel head and quick drying facilities.
- It is fitted with three settings: Scrubbing, Dusting and Mopping.
- It is designed to intuitively adjust the jetting pressure to suit select surface floors. For example, the dusting setting is for ‘delicate’ floor types like Laminate and Wooden floors.
- These floor types may be damaged under very high temperatures. However with the intelligent lift away, with a turn of a dial releases low jetting pressure that cannot damage your floor.
- The mopping setting is for usual normal cleaning while the scrubbing setting rattles away caked in and deep seated stains.
- The mop is designed in a way that it fits into corners and forces out the stubborn dirt and also glides over carpets easily.
- People who have used the S3901 claim that it is light-weight which is why it is very easy to carry and its long handle makes the handheld feature seem like a boon.
- In no time, they are able to clean floors, taps, the furniture and the carpets sparkle and shine with very less effort compared to before.
Most reviewers agree that this Shark steam mop s3901 ticks all the boxes of what constitutes the best steam mop. It comes with a multifunctional accessory kit that makes it a complete cleaning system.
- The Shark lift away steam cleaner cleans practically every part of the house. You can make your windows sparkle with squeegee that comes with this cleaner, give the taps and sink that shiny look.
- Sanitise shelves with the handheld steamer.
- Revitalize the carpets with the carpet glider.
- Make kitchen hobs and worktops spark with the bristle brush, reveal the gloss in your bath and shower room with the adjustable nozzle and take the power of superior cleaning to upholstery and garments.
- Nevertheless the lift away Shark floor steamer is a great bargain for the price it is offered at and definitely makes the whole process of cleaning smoother and more efficient.
- The garment steamer is not included in the box. However, you can order from either JML website or Amazon for 10 quid or thereabout.
- Its 300ml water tank is a bit small compared to other best steam mops.
- Long cord: The 7m cord ensures you do your cleaning in a wide area without ever having to worry about the connection power place.
- High-quality mop head: The mop head is of high quality staying fixed in the same place even after some thorough cleaning. Further bonus is the fact that both sides can be used.
- Variable steam setting for versatile cleaning: The mop comes with three variable steam setting settings that allow users to clean different types of floors with ease.
- Quite versatile: The s3901 rapidly converts from an upright position to a hand-held position allowing users to clean areas above the floors. It also uses up to 10 attachments making it quite versatile for cleaning.
9. Karcher SC1 Steam Cleaner and Mop
The Karcher sc1 steam cleaner is basically a handheld cleaner with a floor head hose attachment.It draws the name steam stick from the extension hose.
- The SC1 is mainly suited for cleaning small spaces. It is perfect for cleaning places like kitchens and bathrooms and small living rooms.
- It has a 200 ml tank that is heated by the 1200 W motor for three minutes to generate jetting hot vapour. A full tank is able to clean an area of 20 meters square which is approximately between 5-7 continuous cleaning time. For larger spaces, you will need to refill that tank to produce more hot water vapour.
- It has a hot vapour trigger that releases steam on demand. The most effective way to clean with the sc1 is to release bursts of hot water vapour followed by dry passes. Releasing continuous steam by constantly pressing the hot vapour trigger will leave your floors wet.
- It has two 45 m long tubes and a 1.1 meter hose which together with the 4meter hose make it quite long, flexible and easy to access all areas of a standard room. Due to its lightweight nature, it is quite effective in cleaning in tight spaces like under furniture.
- The Karcher Steam Cleaner SC1 has long reach hose to access high areas and tight spaces like under furniture.
- It is powered by a 1200Watt motor that heats up really quickly.
- It is lightweight and only weighs 1.5 kgs.
- Has a small footprint that makes it easy to store.
- Produces high steam pressure (3.0 pressure bar) that is effective in cleaning tough stains.
- Can be used both as a handheld cleaner for detailed cleaning of non- floor surfaces and as a floor steam mop.
- It is the cheapest among the Karcher steam cleaners.
- The water tank is so small so you will have to refill several times if you are cleaning a big room.
- The sc1 does not have on-board tools (storage compartment on the cleaning machine; on board tools makes it easy to store accessories) but is comes with a handy bag in which you can store your accessories.
- It does not have variable steam control
All in all the Karcher sc1 steam cleaner is a decent cleaner for smallish spaces. It is very affordable and cleans very well especially on sealed hard surfaces.
- It produces high pressure bar steam to tackle any tough stains.
- It’s main strength is its ability to operate both as a hand held device and a floor cleaner both of which clean very effectively.
- The sc1 is perfect for people who live in small spaces
10. Morphy Richards 720025 Total Clean Pets Steam Cleaner
The Morphy Richards 720025 Total Clean Pets Steam Cleaner is white in color, weighing 3kg and of 26 x 110 x 3 cm size.
- It is one of the best 2 in 1 steam cleaners: a floor steam cleaner and a handheld steamer
- It is powered by 1600w motor with 5 metre cable length
- It features 200ml water tank that heats up in 30 seconds to give you 14 minutes cleaning time.
- It also features ‘triangular floor head for steaming hard to reach areas.
- It comes with a carpet glider for refreshing carpets
- The total clean pet is sturdy, easy to use and offer good value for money.
- You can use it to clean any sealed hard floor
Best Steam Cleaners- Buyer’s Guide
What exactly is a steam mop? A steam mop is designed to clean soft surfaces like carpets and floors of all types, both hardwood, laminate, ceramic and marble. Most steam mops do not require detergents or cleaning agents because of the mechanism behind the steam mop.
Steam mops mainly use steam to clean. Water is poured into a reservoir attached to the mop. The water is then heated to very temperatures, upwards of 120 degree centigrade to release steam. The steam soaks a micro-fibre that is fitted beneath the steam. The jetting steam in turn soaks and traps dirt that is sucked from surfaces.
One good thing about steam mops is that they restore the gloss of the floor. You do not have to deal with messy detergents or dirty water. Steam mops do not leave residues or stains on floors. The super hot steam jetting from the steam mop can kill up to 99.9% of all germs on any surface.
When choosing which is the best steam mop or cleaner to buy UK 2018, check out for those that are easy to assemble. If it is too complicated to fit together, move over to the next one because it takes away the delight of buying it.
Read through the product description to be sure that you can assemble the gadget you buy with relative ease.
If you are like most people, you always want immediate gratification from what you buy, do not let assembling the product you buy stand in the way.
Fortunately all the best products we have reviewed can be assembled effortlessly.
When you use clean microfibre pads, your floors will never leave streaks that steal the gloss a good run of cleaning is supposed to give you.
I see in forums and reviews people venting their frustrations by complaining that their products leave streaks on their floors.
Truth be told, no best cleaner is designed to leave streaks.
In most cases when a cleaner leaves streaks, it is normally due to the fact that the floor head cloths/microfibre pads are not quite clean. So always remember to toss the microfibre pads in the washing machine or give them a hand wash with ordinary washing powder.
Fast Drying Time:
When shopping for the best mop, check out for those that guarantee you fast drying time. Efficient cleaners should leave your surfaces dry in at least five minutes after cleaning.
When using high hot vapour pressure especially if using high pressure bar cleaners like the 4.5 pressure bar Polti Vaporetto eco pro, you need to dry your floor with a dry cloth after cleaning with hot vapour.
For best results clean in small sections preferably 2 metre square then dry it with a soft dry cloth before you progress. If you work through your floors like this, the floors will be left gleaming.
You will find that a number of multi-purpose steam mops have this capability of leaving your floors really dry after cleaning. This is because they are fitted with the best microfiber cloths that sap up the condensation as they trap all the dirt in the cloth.
Of course you don’t want your floors wet after cleaning especially with children and even dogs walking up and down the house. This could be hazardous. Go for cleaners that come with a wiping cloth accessory.
Decent Cord Length:
Check out how long the electric cord is. As always you want a long electric cord to save you the task of unplugging from one socket to the other as you work through the surfaces of your house.
You don’t want to be burdened with the inconvenience of buying a number of electric socket extension cords once you have already purchased your cleaning equipment just because the cord attached to your cleaner is short. It is therefore crucial that you consider this factor (length of cord) when shopping.
Replacement Jugs and Micro-Fibre Pads:
In identifying a quality gadget, you should look out for models that come with a top up jug in their accessory kit. This will spare you the task of having to remove the water tank once the water runs out of the reservoir for refilling. A replacement jug also reduces the chance of water spilling in the process of refilling the tank.
High Quality Microfiber Pads:
Hot vapour mops are normally fitted with a cloth or microfibre pads beneath them. These clothes/microfiber are quite important in cleaning your surfaces because through them dirt from your surface is trapped on the floor head leaving your surfaces clean and fresh.
If you are likely to be using your cleaner on floors, it will be advisable to buy those fitted with microfiber pads as opposed to cloths. A microfiber pad fitting helps your floor to dry up quicker. They are also washable and reusable. They last longer than clothes and are easy to clean when compared to clothes.
How to Maintain Microfibre Pads:
When shopping, check for pads that are easier to maintain. Though the cleaner comes with a supply of replacement pads, these pads eventually run out and you have to buy replacement. However, if you take good care of the pads by regularly cleaning them after use, the pads will last long and spare you the cost of replacing them regularly.
The microfiber fitting is easier to maintain. Here is why: Microfibre pads are made of synthetic material which is easier to wash than clothes. It is advisable to let your gadget cool down before storing it. This will protect the surface floor of your storage room.
Of cause depending on how much storage space you have, you should choose a cleaner that will not be awkward and bulky to store.
Storage and Safety Aspects of Your Cleaner:
Consider the storage and safety aspects of your gadget. Depending on your budget, it is advisable to buy a cleaner that has its own safety mat to hold the gadget after cleaning.
This saves you time you could have spent waiting for the cleaner to cool down before you store it. Alternatively shop for those that have continuous cleaning setting embedded in them.
Consider Versatility However do not use it as a vacuum:
Read reviews to find out which cleaner enables you to clean both hard and soft areas. This is convenient and efficient since you end up with a “one stop machine” to cater for all your surfaces.
However do not use it as a vacuum.
This will wear your gadget down. Always vacuum before cleaning to enable the cleaner do the heavy lifting job of deep cleaning your floors. Hot vapour mops kill 99% germs on your surfaces and can sift even the tiniest of dust particles.
Though most cleaners reviewed here will not only clean in a super fast fashion and leave your surfaces spotless, some of us actually prefer fresh scented smell to crown everything up.
If adding a freshener to your gadget appeals to you, then you need to shop for the one that has a component that allows you to add a freshener in your water tank.
Most Vax cleaning products for example come with a specially designed scented detergent. However, adding chemicals and fresheners without due regard to manufacturer’s specification might damage your gadget.
That is why you should think about whether you really want to use a mop that allows you to add a freshener and buy one that has this capability.
Continuous Floor Setting:
Most ordinary cleaners normally need some cooling off period/time before you can refill the water tank. However most quality cleaners use cutting edge technology that enables them to be refilled on demand without the need for the gadget to cool down. This of course has an overall effect of not only saving you time (no waiting for the gadget to cool down while cleaning) but could extend the life of your cleaner (the risk of overheating is reduced).
Most cleaning products come with an assortment of attachment such as : an adjustable nozzle, hard and soft brushes, squeegee, carpet glider, and Velcro microfibre pads that could be customized to clean different parts of the house. Most 2 in 1 mops normally give you value for money.
They can be detached to clean hard to reach places. With the right accessories, you can customise the handheld cleaner that are embedded in most highly top rated steam mops UK to spruce up most of your surfaces.
You will find that most of the multi-purpose best cleaners give you more capability and flexibility. You can use them to clean Grout, Cookers, Upholstery, Windows, Carpets Hard floors and Tiles. These are the products that fit the bill of a quality hot vapour gadget in the UK.
With such multiple accessories to use on your hand held cleaner device you get flexibility of use that turns your gadget into a complete cleaning system.
Powerful Motor Engine:
Another important factor to consider when choosing the best is the size of the motor engine. The motor is the one that powers your cleaner.
Of course you want a powerful machine that will make your cleaning task quick, fun and easy. To achieve this, you need a motor with considerably high wattage because the more the wattage the more powerful and effective the cleaning will be.
The water will be heated up in record time and you get longer time to use the cleaner. The wattage can go as high as 1800 watts. However with 1200 Watts and above, you should be treading on quality grounds.
The search for more power however comes at a price. The more the wattage the device has the heavier it will be, so you need to factor that into your plan. There are cleaners that have wheels on the base though, in which case weight of the cleaner is no issue because you won’t have to push it around.
The cleaner you end up buying depends really on your individual needs. Before you set out in search of the cleaner you desire, you should first decide what you would really want to use it for. Consider the size of your house and the kind of surfaces that you are going to it on.
- Do you have different surfaces across the house?
- Do you have pets?
- Do you have children who crawl about your floors?
- Are your surfaces tiled, laminate, hardwood, vinyl, all carpeted, a mix of carpet and hard surfaces?
- Are the surfaces sealed? Are there insurance clauses regarding cleaners?
These factors will enable you to choose the steam mop that is tailored to your needs.
What are the Best Functionalities to look for?
Once you figure out what you plan to use your cleaner for, you need to decide the size and weight of the gadget that will closely fit your preferred way of working. Most floor mops come in different shapes, weights and capabilities.
Here are the basics. You want to go for a gadget that is easy and convenient to use on all your floor surfaces. Ideally it should have a carpet glider that can be locked into place when in use.
The best product should heat up really quick to avoid any waiting moments but still give you extended cleaning time. It should be easy to handle and store, it should ideally have an extension cord that is suited to the size of your house, one that could enable you to be creative and add a freshener to it.
The list is longer than this but I hope you see that choosing a best quality cleaner UK takes some meticulous considerations. Now let’s break these points down:
Considering Your Floor Type:
What is the best gadget for your floor type is a crucial consideration. Like we all know, most modern houses have different floor types in different parts of the house with a fair mix of carpeted floors and hard floors. You therefore need a cleaner that will glide through all your the different surfaces without any trouble.
The key tip here is to look for cleaners that work well in most hard floors and also have carpet glider functionality.
Different floor texture have different temperature threshold. For instance porcelain tiles that are unglazed and porous are not suitable for high temperature vapour pressure because glazed material is water resistant and leaves a wet finish. With such floors you need a cleaner that dries floors superfast like the Vax S86-SF-C that dries floors in only 3 minutes after cleaning.
You also need a product that has variable settings. This functionality employs smart settings to regulate the hot water vapour pressure and temperature suitable for your floors.
What Tank Size:
One thing you should definitely watch out for when choosing the best product is the tank size. The bigger the water tank, the more cleaning time you get from the cleaner. This is especially important if you have large areas of surface to cover. The best tank size should give you at least 20 minutes of uninterrupted output. If you have a big house and many rooms, you should look out for a good cleaner that can cope with active use for considerable lengths of time like the Polti Eco Pro Vaporetto. The Polti Vaporetto cleaner has a 2 litre tank that can give you 40 -45 minutes continuous cleaning time.
Are Lightweight Steamers Really the Best?
While shopping, keep in mind that very light models are normally designed for lightweight duty or for one particular use, for example, floor cleaning only as opposed to being used for a variety of cleaning tasks.
If for example you need your newly acquired cleaning gadget to clean your upholstery and other parts in your house then probably the lightweight models are not exactly for you. However you can get a fully functioning best buy steam cleaner that weighs only 2.5 Kgs like Vax S7 .
Which is the best steam cleaner UK 2018? It really depends on what you want to use it for! If it is for cleaning floors, Vax 15 in 1 steam cleaner and the H20 HD 5 in 1 high definition steam cleaner are the best among others (detailed reviews below).
If it is a portable steam cleaner for spot cleaning, or cleaning stoves, sinks, windows, shower curtains, car upholstery, counter tops and refrigerators, the comforday handheld steam cleaner is the best. And if it is for refreshing carpets, Vileda steam mop is the best.
Frequently Asked Steam Mop Questions (FAQ)
Can You Use A Steam Mop To Clean Carpets? / How Do You Deep Clean Your Carpet?
Steam mops with carpet glider/carpet attachment functionality can be used to refresh carpets. By refresh here we mean that they can actually bring up the pile and rejuvenate it by loosening surface dirt and killing germs on your carpets. This is good enough to get rid of smudges and stains on your carpets. The carpets actually look newer after refreshing them with hot vapour. Many people are turning to floor cleaning mops that clean with hot vapour as a quick fix to cleaning carpets. The good thing with steam mops with a carpet glider is that you can clean on the go (Check the top rated carpet steam cleaners here). However for deep carpet cleaning you still need a dedicated carpet cleaner. If you are looking for one, check our top 10 the best carpet cleaners UK 2018
Whenever you want to clean a large carpet area in your house, consider using a dedicated carpet cleaner. This is because they are specially designed to extract embedded dirt that are deep within the fibre without having to use high temperatures. The steam mops are also very efficient and quick whenever you want to clean large areas. They can also be effective whenever you are spot cleaning the smaller areas of your rugs and carpet.
You should, however, keep in mind that not all carpet types are suitable for cleaning using high temperature. For this reason, always test a small hidden area of your carpet before you clean it with a steamer. Most steam mops have a special carpet attachment that is also used for cleaning carpets once its large cloth is attached. A small cloth with the upholstery tool can also be used to clean your carpets if you have the hand-held steamer. To avoid your carpet holding down or even over wetting one area of your carpet, it is advisable to keep moving the tool across your carpet.
Can You Use A Steam Cleaner On A Mattress?
Yes. You can use a steam mop for sanitising mattress. The best tool to kill the dust mites and bedbugs is a steamer. The high temperatures produced by steam mops will guarantee that you will kill them.
Mattresses are well known for harbouring these dust mites. This method is highly recommended especially if people involved suffers from allergies. To clean your mattress, use the steam mop with the cloth and upholstery tool attached and make sure that you keep the tool moving over the mattress surface such that you do not over-wet the material. After steaming your mattress fully, leave your mattress lying on its side for a while (a few hours if it is possible) to ensure that it is fully dried before fitting back the bed linen.
Can You Use A Steam Mop On Vinyl Flooring? / Vinyl Planks?
Yes you can ! You will find that different steam mops are better suited to different floor types (vinyl plank floors, slate, wooden, tile, laminate, limestone, porcelain tiles/ quarry tiles, marble floors).
They also come in different shapes, size, feel and look. Some of the top end steam floor mops are factory calibrated to work efficiently with almost all types of floor types such as Vax, Shark and Karcher steam cleaners.
What Do You Use A Steam Cleaner For?
Steam cleaners are great and versatile tools that can be used for various cleaning tasks in your house. The mop produces high-temperature steam that is capable of lifting away grime and grease and also sanitising surfaces. These floor steamers with handheld cleaners do not use hard chemicals . They only use cleaning water and that is a great option that saves a lot of money and is also kind to the environment.
You can use your steam mop for:
Hard Floor Cleaning: From the bathroom floors to the tiled kitchen floors, steam mops are the best option for cleaning. This is because they help kill off the bacterial films that most detergents and cloth cannot penetrate. This will guarantee you a thoroughly done hygienic finish. The hot steam produced by the steamer is also very helpful whenever you want to clean grout in between the tiles. Most steamers have specially designed cleaning heads that you can use without the cloth and achieve the best results on the hard floors. For the best cleaning results, always keep the floor head moving and do not hold it down onto one area for long since it may damage the grout.
- Barbecue Cleaning: You can use your steam cleaner to clean your barbeque very easily. However, you need to take caution not to use it outdoors if there is a risk of raining. It is advisable to bring the barbeque to the porch area because oven steamers are not designed for use in wet weather or even the garden. To clean the barbecue, you can use the wire brush on the oven and the scraper tool to remove the burnt on food and the stubborn stains.
- Hob and Oven Cleaning: Cleaning the oven can be a daunting task, especially when you are dealing with grease and spilt food. There is an option of cleaning with detergents. However, these leave your room with a strong chemical smell. A steamer is much more eco-friendly. However, be careful not to use the steam mop in your oven near the element as this may make the oven not to work. To clean your oven, first use the steam mop on high setting with a brush tool on it, and then finish cleaning using a window squeegee tool to get a streak free finish on the glass. For the metal racks, it is better to use the wire brush tool
- Freezer Defrosting: Using your steam mop to defrost your freezer is one of the best reasons that shows what are steam mops good for. This is because, the steamers are a much safer option than using kitchen implements to remove the ice. The heat produced by the steam is also used to sterilise the surfaces. This removes the need of using chemicals or cleaning detergents to clean once the ice is removed. To defrost your freezer, first you will have to remove the drawers then place a bowl or even a bucket in the bottom of the freezer. This will be used to collect the ice then you can direct the main nozzle of your steamer on to the ice. This should melt the ice easily and in large chunks. A steamer’s scraper tool can also be used to do this job (if your steamer has one). Once you are done, you can wipe all the surfaces with a dry cloth.
- Window Cleaning: Whenever you clean your windows with cloth, liquid usually run down onto the surface leaving streaks. When you use a steam window cleaner, the job done is perfect, this is because the water on the window is dried, and you achieve a streak-free cleaning. A lot of streaks come with a window cleaning squeegee that does this job perfectly. To clean your window, simply attach the window squeegee on the steam window cleaner and work methodically across the window in stripes, work from top to bottom and also overlap and change directions to avoid having a striped finish. In order to achieve the best cleaning results, try draping the microfiber cloth over the window squeegee and then use the steam window cleaner on a low setting for the first run over the window, then go over again without the cloth and on high setting on the steam window cleaner. It is recommended to place a towel at the bottom of the glass before cleaning to catch the drips.
- Chair Seats and Sofas Cleaning: The upholstery tool that is on your steam mop is best suited to clean your chairs seats and sofas. To clean your sofas, just clip on this attachment and cover with the cotton cloth supplied. Apply the steam to the upholstery surface and keep it moving over the surface so that you don’t soak the sofa material. The steam mop provides sufficient heat that will kill the dust mites and also lift stains. However, before you start steaming, it is advisable to test a small hidden area of the material to ensure that your material will not run.
- Curtain Cleaning: The upholstery tool and cloth on your steam mop can be used to clean curtains. However, it is advisable that you check the care label that is on your curtains to ensure that they are suitable for steaming.
- Tap Cleaning: It can be a daunting task to shift the tiny bits of grime and limescale that usually get lodged around bathroom taps and kitchen taps. A steamer can be a great tool for cleaning such areas. To clean taps, you can use the detail nozzle on the steam mop to apply much of the concentrated blast of steam, this will lift away both dirt and scale. After the steam cleaning, wipe with a clean cloth.
Can I Use Distilled Water In My Steam Cleaner?
Yes, in fact, it advisable to use distilled water especially if you live in a hard-water area. Distilled water will make your cleaner run efficiently without being clogged up by limescale that is usually prevalent in hard water.
Can You Put Vinegar In A Steam Mop?
It is not advisable to put vinegar in your mop because most vinegar (White, balsamic) is acid forming while steam mop works well with neutral liquids, specifically water so as to produce steam.
How Well Do Steam Mops Clean?
Steam mops kill 99% of all germs on your surface and it dries the floor quite quickly (3-5 minutes) to leave your floors sparkling. Those with a variable setting are the most effective because the setting allows you to control the amount of steam released to the floor depending on the floor type.
Can You Use A Steam Cleaner To Clean Walls?
Can You Use A Steam Cleaner To Clean Walls? Not really because the steam might easily damage your wall especially if you have wallpaper. The steam can easily peel your paint or wallpaper if you do not control the amount of pressure released.
Can You Put Cleaner In A Steam Mop?
Yes if it is recommended by the manufacturer. For instance, Vax and Bissel steam mops use specially designed detergents by their respective manufacturers.
Can You Steam Your Suit?
Yes of course, but you will only straighten your suit, if you need sharp lines, then a traditional iron box is most recommended.