Modern households have different floor types for different areas of the house. It is not uncommon to have both laminated flooring, carpeted floor, tiled floors and even granite and granite flooring in respective different parts of the house (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, laundry room etc). All these floors take different specific cleaning tasks. Lets go over the different methods of cleaning different floor types.
How to Clean Tiled floors
- First tackle the grouting. Brush thoroughly and in detail all the grout lines with a stiff bristles brush.
- Remove all loose dirt by sweeping them away.
- Mix warm/cold water with a floor cleaning detergent
- Using a clean mop, mop the entire floor to remove smudges and dust. You can also use a multifunctional steam mop.
- Use homemade solutions like vinegar, lemon, hydrogen peroxide or baking soda and dedicated grout cleaners to carefully clean grout lines.
- Here is how to prepare the home made cleaning solution: (add ¼ of cup vinegar, lemon, baking soda or hydrogen peroxide to 1 cup of water and mix with liquid detergent).
- Use an old toothbrush with stiff bristles and dab it into the home made mixture. Clean the grouting with the toothbrush/ hard bristles brush and wipe away the dirt with a warm damp cloth.
- Alternatively you can use a hand held steam cleaner with a rotating nozzle. Affix the hard bristle brush at the end of the nozzle and comprehensively clean the grout joints by using the hard bristles brush and steam.
- Wipe with a clean cloth to leave your grout line looking clean.
- You can also use bleach and commercial grout cleaners to clean the grout line.
- Finally wipe the whole floor with a clean soft dry clothe to leave your tiles gleaming.
The key to having your tiled floor looking spec and span is to regularly clean your grout line. They can easily get quite grubby if not regularly cleaned. However with the easy steps listed above, you can keep your tiled floors sparkling clean.
How to Clean Concrete Floors
Concrete floors are commonly used because they are affordable. They are also durable and reliant. They are mostly used in garages and back garden. Here is how to clean to concrete floors.
- Always start by vacuuming your floors.
- Mix warm water with a detergent and stir evenly.
- Systematically wash your concrete floors. It is always a good idea to start from corners.
- Use a dry mop to remove all the water or allow drying by air.
- Occasionally buff your floors to give them a shiny finish.
How to Clean Granite Floors
Granite floors give your floors a classy look. Hower if not well maintained the glossy granite finish might pale out. The steps below will enhance on how you clean granite floors.
- Get a dedicated cleaner from a hardware or store outlet.
- Use the granite cleaner to gently wipe your granite floors with a soft cloth. Wipe in circular movements.
- You can also use a sealer to cover your granite surfaces. The sealer will reveal the gloss in the granite and also protect it from scratches and smudges.
The main thing about cleaning granite floors is to be gentle to the glossy finish. It is not advisable to use rough textured cloths.
How to Clean Wood Floors
Wooden floor are made from natural material which are open to damage. For this reason your wooden floors need adequate care to ensure their durability. Here is how to clean your wooden floors:
- Determine whether your wooden floor is sealed or unsealed.
- You can identify whether your floors is sealed or not by checking whether they have waterproof varnish or wax. Unsealed floors use wax to protect them from water damage while sealed floors use varnish that is waterproof.
- As a rule of thumb, never wash your unsealed floor with a wet mop because the wax protection covering layer is not sufficient enough to protect the wooden floors from water damage. However if your floors are sealed with waterproof varnish then it is safe to clean them with a wet mop or a steam cleaner that has variable control.
- If you are using bucket and mop, mix water with your favourite floor cleaning detergent. Clean your floors with the mop in a circular movement staring from the corners as your approach the entrance of the room you are cleaning.
- Use a soft dry cloth to wipe your floors. This usually gives your floors a glossy finish.
- If you are using a steam mop, fill the water tank of the steam cleaner, allow the water to heat us and steam clean using medium variable setting. Wipe your wooden floors with a clean soft dry cloth to give them a sparkling finish.
How to Clean Unsealed Wood Floors
- Mix detergent with water and dab a cleaning cloth in the water to make it moist and use the slightly damp cloth to clean your unsealed floors in a circular motion.
- Use water sparingly; do not allow the cloth you are using to clean to be wet. If need be, rinse the cloth before using it to clean your floors.
- Finish off by wiping your unsealed floors with a dry cloth to remove any moisture that could damage the floors.
How to Clean Terracotta Floors
Terracotta tiles is popularly used in highly trafficked areas like kitchen and toilet. It is good in such areas because it does not show spills easily. To clean terracotta floors and keep them germ free use your desired terracotta detergent and mix with warm water.
- Start by sweeping the floors to remove any loose debris and dust.
- Clean with a mop in an up and down motion and pay particular attention on any dirt trapped in the terracotta joints.
- Use a brush to scrub any caked in dirt. Move the scrubbing brush in circular motion.
- In case you are using a steam mop, dial the variable steam setting to high and clean in circular motion. Wipe the floors with a dry cloth to finish off.
How to Clean Tile Floors
Just like terracotta, tiles are a good choice of floor type for higly trafficked areas like foyer, bathroom or kitchen.
- Start by sweeping the tiled floors . For best results sweep your tiled floors regularly .
- Use a tile floor cleaner and dab your mop in the water mixed with detergent
- Mop the tiled floor in a circular motion
- Wipe the tiled floors with a dry cloth.
- If using a steam mop, calibrate the variable setting to high setting and clean your tiled floors. Wipe the tiled floor after steam cleaning to give your tiled surfaces a shining finish.
Laminate floors are made of synthetic material that imitates natural material like wood. The good thing is that the synthetic material laminate floor are made of can be quite durable when given good care. The key thing about cleaning laminate floor is to avoid the floors being wet. Wet floors can make the laminate to warp and damage their glossy look. Use a damp cloth to mo and then dry with a soft dry cloth. If using a steam mop, set the variable steam control on low setting and clean mostly with dry wipes and apply the steam sparingly.