Modern households have different floor types for different areas of the house. It is not uncommon to have both laminated flooring, carpeted floor, tiled floors and even granite and granite flooring in respective different parts of the house (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, laundry room etc). All these floors take different specific cleaning tasks. Lets go over the different methods of cleaning different floor types.
How to Clean Tiled Floors
- First tackle the grouting. Brush thoroughly and in detail all the grout lines with a stiff bristles brush.
- Remove all loose dirt by sweeping them away.
- Mix warm/cold water with a floor cleaning detergent
- Using a clean mop, mop the entire floor to remove smudges and dust. You can also use a multifunctional steam mop.
- Use homemade solutions like vinegar, lemon, hydrogen peroxide or baking soda and dedicated grout cleaners to carefully clean grout lines.
- Here is how to prepare the home made cleaning solution: (add ¼ of cup vinegar, lemon, baking soda or hydrogen peroxide to 1 cup of water and mix with liquid detergent).
- Use an old toothbrush with stiff bristles and dab it into the home made mixture. Clean the grouting with the toothbrush/ hard bristles brush and wipe away the dirt with a warm damp cloth.
- Alternatively you can use a hand held steam cleaner with a rotating nozzle. Affix the hard bristle brush at the end of the nozzle and comprehensively clean the grout joints by using the hard bristles brush and steam.
- Wipe with a clean cloth to leave your grout line looking clean.
- You can also use bleach and commercial grout cleaners to clean the grout line.
- Finally wipe the whole floor with a clean soft dry clothe to leave your tiles gleaming.
The key to having your tiled floor looking spec and span is to regularly clean your grout line. They can easily get quite grubby if not regularly cleaned. However with the easy steps listed above, you can keep your tiled floors sparkling clean.
How to Clean Terracotta Floors
Terracotta tiles is popularly used in highly trafficked areas like kitchen and toilet. It is good in such areas because it does not show spills easily. To clean terracotta floors and keep them germ free use your desired terracotta detergent and mix with warm water.
- Start by sweeping the floors to remove any loose debris and dust.
- Clean with a mop in an up and down motion and pay particular attention on any dirt trapped in the terracotta joints.
- Use a brush to scrub any caked in dirt. Move the scrubbing brush in circular motion.
- In case you are using a steam mop, dial the variable steam setting to high and clean in circular motion. Wipe the floors with a dry cloth to finish off.
Laminate floors are made of synthetic material that imitates natural material like wood. The good thing is that the synthetic material laminate floor are made of can be quite durable when given good care. The key thing about cleaning laminate floor is to avoid the floors being wet. Wet floors can make the laminate to warp and damage their glossy look. Use a damp cloth to mo and then dry with a soft dry cloth. If using a steam mop, set the variable steam control on low setting and clean mostly with dry wipes and apply the steam sparingly.
- How to Clean: Concrete, Granite, Wood, Terracotta, Tile, and Laminate Floors
- 10 in 1 1500W Neo® Hot Steam Mop Cleaner
Tom Canton is a seasoned writer and cleaning industry professional with over 10 years of experience in the field. His passion for cleaning and organizing spaces has been a driving force behind his dedication to providing valuable insights and advice to readers seeking effective cleaning solutions.
With a keen eye for detail and a natural inclination for thorough research, Tom’s journey into the world of cleaning began during his tenure in an appliance store’s returns department. It was there that he observed a common pattern among customers who returned their purchases – many realized after the fact that the products they had chosen didn’t quite meet their expectations. Recognizing the need for reliable information in the market, Tom embarked on a mission to share his findings and help others make informed decisions.
At BestSteamMop.co.uk, Tom focuses on researching and evaluating a wide range of cleaning products, with particular expertise in steam mops and carpet cleaners. He understands the challenges faced by individuals in their quest for squeaky-clean floors and time-saving solutions. By thoroughly examining every aspect of select cleaning products, Tom strives to ensure that his readers find products that not only meet their needs but also deliver exceptional value for money.
Tom’s dedication to research extends beyond product evaluation. He delves into the intricacies of steam mops, seeking out the most reliable, versatile, and effective options on the market. Aware of the time-consuming nature of this research, Tom has taken it upon himself to compile his extensive knowledge and experiences into informative articles. By distilling customer reviews, product manuals, and general information, he presents his findings in compact, easy-to-understand pieces that empower readers to make well-informed choices.