How to Remove Tough Carpet Stains: From Coffee, Rust to Red Wine. There is no doubt that carpet give a house a cosy and warm look that is simply beautiful. We all try our best to keep our carpets clean and stain free. However accidents occur and in no time your lovely carpet can be ruined by an ugly stain.
Stains can ruin your stunning looking carpet. It is essential that you deal with stains swiftly.Stains caused by rust or spillage of ink and wine are challenging to deal with. In this article we go over time tested ways to deal with tough stains on your carpets. It is always good to be forearmed with a workable strategy.
How to Remove Stains From Carpet
How to Remove Red Wine Stains from Carpets
The key thing is to get organised and have a clear plan of action. Here is an action plan that always works.
- Take the first initiative to deal with the stain as quickly as you can. The more time you waste the harder it will be to remove the stain.
- Use a soft cloth that is clean to blot out the stain. You can also use a paper towel.
- Mix white vinegar, wash up liquid and water. Put one quarter of a cup of vinegar, two spoonful wash up liquid and two cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray the stain until it is soaked. Take the dry towel and blot the stain until it is removed.
- You can try a mixture of white vinegar, Dawn dish soap, and water in a spray bottle. Use 1/4 cup of white vinegar, 1 tbsp. of Dawn dish soap, and fill with water. Spray area liberally and let soak for 5-10 minutes and then proceed with blotting the spot with a clean, dry towel until stain is removed.
- Use your preferable stain remover. Popular stain removers in the UK are Dr. Beckmann Carpet Stain Remover, Vanish gold stain remover, BISSELL Pet Stain and Odour Pre-treat 1137E. Repeat the vinegar solution treatment until the stain is removed completely.
Always test on a small space to ensure the vinegar mixture does not affect your carpet in any way. In place of vinegar, you can also use baking soda as illustrated here. Note that different carpets have different fibres which may affect the effectiveness of this stain removal strategy. Be sure to check the instructions given by your carpet manufacturer for the best results.
How to Remove Coffee Stains from Carpets
Coffee stains can easily discolor your carpets. The brownish smudge left by coffee stains destroys the beauty of a carpet, so you really want to get rid of coffee stains as soon as you can. Here are battle tested steps to help you remove coffee stains from carpets.
- Place a paper towel on the spilled coffee to dry the spot. If there is too much coffee spilled, take caution not to spread the coffee on unaffected areas.
- Mix water, a gentle washing detergent (non-bleach) and vinegar and sprinkle the mixture on the affected spot using a spray bottle. Spray for at least 5-10 minutes to soak the stain in the mixture. Once the stain is soaked dry it with a paper tissue of absorbent dry cloth.
- After this you can use a dedicated stain remover to completely wipe out the stain. Be sure to test in small patches before using the spray to reduce any further damage.
Though we recommend using non-bleach washing detergent, there are some carpets that respond well to bleach and water treatment. Such carpets include Polypropylene. With Polypropylene carpets mix a quarter cup of bleach with one and half cup of water, drench the stain with the mixture and dry it with a dry cloth. Use warm water to rinse the spot. Keep doing this until the stain is gone.
Dealing with Rust Stains in Carpets
Rust is one of the most stubborn stains to remove from carpets because it is made up of an Oxide-iron Oxide.
- Get a preferred carpet stain remover and apply it on the spot using a soft material, preferably a sponge. Give it 5-10 minutes to allow the spray to work on the stain.
- Soak the sponge in lukewarm water. This step should result in considerable improvement.
- Get a lemon and squeeze the juice on the stain then sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the stained spot. Allow this mixture to settle for 24 hours.
You can follow the above strategies to also answer questions like: How to remove blood stains from carpet, how to remove tea stains and nail polish stains from carpets. All in all removing tough stains from carpets requires quick action and an action plan. Simply using a known commercial stain remover alone might not give you the best results.
As you have noted in this article, a mixture of natural remedies and commercial removers is the most effective way of removing tough stains. You might also want to invest in a dedicated carpet cleaner with a pre-treatment wand. This gives you the tools to easily spot clean stains as they happen and will help you keep your carpet stain free for a long time.
- How to Remove Stains From Carpet: Coffee, Red Wine, Rust & Nail Polish
- Best Carpet Shampoo UK (2023 Reviews)
Tom Canton is a seasoned writer and cleaning industry professional with over 10 years of experience in the field. His passion for cleaning and organizing spaces has been a driving force behind his dedication to providing valuable insights and advice to readers seeking effective cleaning solutions.
With a keen eye for detail and a natural inclination for thorough research, Tom’s journey into the world of cleaning began during his tenure in an appliance store’s returns department. It was there that he observed a common pattern among customers who returned their purchases – many realized after the fact that the products they had chosen didn’t quite meet their expectations. Recognizing the need for reliable information in the market, Tom embarked on a mission to share his findings and help others make informed decisions.
At BestSteamMop.co.uk, Tom focuses on researching and evaluating a wide range of cleaning products, with particular expertise in steam mops and carpet cleaners. He understands the challenges faced by individuals in their quest for squeaky-clean floors and time-saving solutions. By thoroughly examining every aspect of select cleaning products, Tom strives to ensure that his readers find products that not only meet their needs but also deliver exceptional value for money.
Tom’s dedication to research extends beyond product evaluation. He delves into the intricacies of steam mops, seeking out the most reliable, versatile, and effective options on the market. Aware of the time-consuming nature of this research, Tom has taken it upon himself to compile his extensive knowledge and experiences into informative articles. By distilling customer reviews, product manuals, and general information, he presents his findings in compact, easy-to-understand pieces that empower readers to make well-informed choices.